Lopota Hydropower Plant (Georgia) – Due Diligence Report
IM Maggia Engineering was retained by the Client to conduct due diligence for Lopota Hydropower Project, for which the final design had been prepared between November 2016 and August 2017.
The 5.9 MW Lopota HPP will be located on the River Lopota, 140 km east of Tbilisi, in Telavi Municipality, Kakheti region, on the slopes of the Great Caucasian mountain range. The scheme consists of two intake structures at elevations of 807 m.a.s.l (Lopota river) and 796 m.a.s.l (Usakheri river), which are connected by a tunnel, a penstock and a power house with 2 Francis turbines.
IM Maggia assessed the feasibility and appropriateness of the technical design. Construction costs were estimated and recommendations for improvement were made.
- Installed capacity of 5.9 MW
- 2 intake structures
- Tunnel length: 235 m
- Penstock: (diam. 1.7 m – 1.5 m, L=4.5 km HB = 165 m)
- Power house with 2 Francis turbines (Q = 2 x 2.25 m3/s, PT = 2 x 3.147 MW)
Scope of services
- Review of complete project documentation
- Design review for intake structures, tunnel, penstock, power house with turbines and EM equipment
- Review of construction costs
- Review of estimated energy generation
- Validation of the investment costs and business case
- Identification of risks and proposal for improvements