A9 Simplonstrasse – Josef Gallery as Part of the Kaltwasser Gallery – Kulm Tunnel – Josef Gallery Project
Rehabilitation of the road Simplonstrasse and reinforcement of Josef Gallery:
- Replacement of the avalanche gallery: reinforcement of the existing structure, rehabilitation and reinforcement of the Gerber joint.
- Replacement of the existing road bridge.
- Physical connection of the gallery with the repaired Kulm Tunnel via a new portal.
- A new comprehensive concept for load-bearing structures was developed and implemented for the gallery, bridge and tunnel portal.
- There are no possibilities to divert traffic. The solutions for all works were designed to be implemented without interrupting traffic.
- The entire project included the renewal of Kaltwasser Gallery and the Kulm Tunnel.
- Length of the gallery: 267m
- Length of the bridge: 40m
- Length of the tunnel portal: 4m
Swiss Federal Roads Authority ASTRA Thun Branch, Visp Office
IUB Engineering AG in consortium
Construction: CHF 22 Mio. / Operation & safety systems: CHF 6 Mio.
Scope of services
- Project planning and implementation
- Technical monitoring